Hi Erich,
thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 at 22:30, Erich Wälde <ew.fo...@nassur.net> wrote:

> Well, well. This is one of the secrets that I have not yet
> uncovered from the files I have. You might not know that the
> author of AmForth has left this planet earlier this year. So we
> have to make due with some code archeology :)

I saw with surprise and sadness the news of Matthias' passing. I imagine
this has caused a great deal of disruption for this project. If I can help
in any way I will.

AVR128DA48. What a beast. I skimmed the datasheet only briefly
> https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/AVR128DA48
>
> If you want to work your way to support this chip, I suggest to
> make a twofold approach:
>
> 1. Have a controller, which is supported by AmForth already,
> like the venerable atmega328p. Use this to set up the whole tool
> chain and verify, that you can build and upload it, and that the
> result is actually working. Unless, of course, you have done
> this already.

I have access to an STK600 and several devices in the atmega family.
Haven't programmed one with AmForth yet but based on what I've read in the
documentation I am not expecting too many problems.

> 2. Then try to fill in pieces for the new controller. Start with
> the files of a supported controller with the same size flash/ram
> /eeprom.
>
> You have to make sure, that the new controller uses the exakt
> same set of assembly instructions --- it probably does not,
> because I read the word "hardware multiplier"
>
> > The AVR128DA48 microcontroller is part of the AVR DA family
> > featuring the AVR processor with hardware multiplier - running
> > at up to 24 MHz and with 128 KB Flash, 16 KB SRAM and 512
> > bytes of EEPROM in 48-pin packages.

I don't think it's going to be straight forward -
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/Appnotes/Migration-from-megaAVR-to-AVR-DxMCU-Fam-DS00003731A.pdf
There appear to be a number of changes at the C macro and register level
from the previous mega generation. I have not dug deep enough into the
AmForth code yet but it may require a fair bit of rework.

Meanwhile I will have a look whether I can uncover the generator
> scripts from some dusty corner ...
>
> Ok, I think I found them:
> > $ ls -l pd2amforth ./pd/*
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew  122 2015-09-03 18:09 ./pd/__init__.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew  226 2015-09-03 18:09 ./pd/convert_number.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew 2183 2016-10-18 20:40 ./pd/device.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew 1187 2016-10-18 20:40 ./pd/interrupts.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew  200 2015-09-03 18:09 ./pd/make_path.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew 1618 2016-10-18 20:40 ./pd/register.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew 1509 2016-10-18 20:40 ./pd/sleep.py
> > -rw-r----- 1 ew ew 1065 2016-10-18 20:40 ./pd/wdt.py
> > -rwxr-x--- 1 ew ew 1840 2016-10-18 20:40 pd2amforth*
>

> I do not know really, how they work, but I can certainly add
> them to the repository ...

Thanks, please let me know when you have had a chance to add the scripts,
device.py looks interesting.

> Cheers,
> Erich

Cheers,