Hi Bing --

Yes, I recommend penalizing a trading system only when it loses.

The standard deviation of a number of trade results is computed using all
trades, winners and losers.  Replacing a trade from the middle of the list
with a large winner changes the standard deviation just as much as replacing
that trade with a large loser.  If the standard deviation is used in the
denominator of a metric, and it usually is, using the standard deviation
penalizes winners.

The semi-deviation uses only those trades that are losers.  Losers can be
defined however you want it to be.  Trades that lose money is usually my
definition.  You might try trades below the mean.  If you are successful,
then all of your trades will be above average.  Grin.

Thanks,
Howard