This release fixes [many security
and users should upgrade as soon as possible.
## New features
* We enabled [address space layout
in the Linux kernel (`kASLR`) to improve protection from buffer overflow
* We installed
[`rngd`](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/random/#rngd) to improve the
entropy of the random numbers generated on computers that have a hardware
random number generator.
## Upgrades and changes
* Upgrade _Tor_ to
* Upgrade _Tor Browser_ to
* Upgrade to Linux 4.6. This should improve the support for newer hardware
(graphics, Wi-Fi, etc.)
* Upgrade _Icedove_ to
* Upgrade _Tor Birdy_ to
* Upgrade _Electrum_ to
* Install firmware for Intel SST sound cards (`firmware-intel-sound`).
* Install firmware for Texas Instruments Wi-Fi interfaces
* Remove `non-free` APT repositories. We documented how to [configure
using the persistent volume.
* Use a dedicated page as the homepage of _Tor Browser_ so we can customize
it for our users.
* Set up the trigger for RAM erasure on shutdown earlier in the boot process.
This should speed up shutdown and make RAM erasure more robust.
## Fixed problems
* Disable the automatic configuration of _Icedove_ when using
[OAuth](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth). This should fix the automatic
configuration for GMail accounts.
* Make the _Disable all networking_ and _Tor bridge mode_ options of _Tails
Greeter_ more robust. ([#11593](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11593))
For more details, read our
# Known issues
* For some users memory wiping fails more often than in Tails 2.5, and for
some users it fails less often. Please report any such changes to
See the list of [long-standing
# Get Tails 2.6
* To install, follow our [installation
* To upgrade, an automatic upgrade is available from 2.5 to 2.6.
If you cannot do an automatic upgrade or if you fail to start after an
automatic upgrade, please try to do a [manual
* [Download Tails 2.6.](https://tails.boum.org/install/download/index.en.html)
# What's coming up?
Tails 2.7 is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/) for
Have a look at our
[roadmap](https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap) to see where we
are heading to.
We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to
([donating](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/donate/index.en.html) is only
one of them). Come [talk to
amnesia-news mailing list
To unsubscribe from this list, send an empty email to