Jerry,

You are one hernia ahead of me hi hi; I also have to be careful
lugging heavy iron, rigs etc. around.   It sounds like you have a good
plan and are on track.  I don't think anyone here has given you bum
advice but with AM and audio there is a lot of it.  Todd and Paul VJB
are dead on but I would work on just getting the rig running and keep
it simple at first with the 55 and get used to operating it.  Do the
usual stuff looking at the envelope on a scope running the rig into a
dummy load and listening on a seperate rx with a wide passband.  Make
sure ur not going over 100%, no RF in the audio, or distortion and so
on.  Once you are comfortable with the setup then you can start
thinking about experimenting with the rig and trying some external
processing if you are interested in that.    You can do great with a
mic preamp, dbx equalizer, compressor and a broadcast grade peak
limiter.  These last two can be found on eBay for not much money--old
Orban blue front panel compressors show up there like the 422A and
424A and are usually overlooked by audio fanatics.  These make great
sounding processors for ham AM.

73

Rob K5UJ