On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchoro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well at the risk of starting another long blowout, I would like to
> meekly make the point that I find some justification in outboard
> processing for AM if will add a little punch and clarity to the
> sidebands and increase the average power in them.

I like smooth, full audio as much as the next person. Looking forward to
getting the BC rig online here so I can finally play in that area a bit. But
just as the KW-1's circuitry is a limiting factor, so is the receiver on the
other end. Winter conditions at least offer more opportunities to open
things up without as much noise and interference to deal with, provided the
other stations is running an R-390, older Super Pro, SX-28, or other rigs
capable of handling the full signal in the first place. The AM filter in the
75A-4 is 6kcs wide, and while it sounds pretty good, it's nothing like an
old SP-100, 200, or 400 with the variable IF opened up to 16kcs and the
push-pull 8F6s driving a big speaker with 10+ watts. I'd bet the AMers using
receivers with average audio outnumber those with Hi-Fi set ups.

Carbon mic or outboard compression, it's all fun in my view.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4