Well, a big plus is if they actually say 'break' instead of the word 'contact',
which is sure to get an ignore response from me.  A number of the points in the
original post, are common sense and courtesy, a few things emphasized over the
years in various publications.  But, in this day, common sense and courtesy are
in major decline, so it is in hamming, along with operational knowledge.  My
favorite is to hear a CQ on CW where the fellow ends with KN....OK,  general
call but only you - answer please,  who you?

I know we blast the ARRL on this site quite a bit, but that is what  we
Americans do to all groups placed on pedestals or in postions of authority.
But a lot of guidelines come from this group including the annually published
'Considerate Operators Frequency Guide'.  This is something that apparently is
never looked at by the membership, but, considering the percentage of hams that
belong to the ARRL vs the total community, the vast majority of folks never see
it and don't know that there are actual freqs. set aside for things like AM,
just like they don't know about DX windows, or where it is preferred you run
RTTY or SSTV.  I know, I can run any mode any where as long as the FCC
authorized it,  yes but...do you walk into a Harley biker bar on the wrong side
of town with a 'Honda Rules' shirt on? Common sense and courtesy would have
helped out here..

One of the best things ever published by the ARRL was an article in the '60's
called, 'Your Novice Accent'.  While specifically aimed at a new Novice, it
contained a wealth of information I bet a lot of OT's didn't know or forgot.
Most of it is still applicable today, but so many things have changed due to
advances in technology, a new one needs to be printed.  At one time, if you
called CQ DX, which in itself was frowned upon, on a band like 80 meters, you
were looking for somebody in California if you were in NC.  CQ DX on 6 meters
meant anybody beyond line of sight almost, now in both cases, it means anybody
but a ham in the CONUS.

But this discussion is as old as hamming I bet.  How about a couple OT's relate
the fun that used to be the 11 meter ham band.  I heard it was quite the free
range party.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC