Bernie, your experience with the SDR-IQ has about convinced me to save my
money.  I had entertained the idea of purchasing one, but maybe I'd better
at least wait till they work some of the bugs out of it.

Here is another digital gadget (software only) that I am considering. It
would convert a laptop to a portable audio spectrum analyser for checking
everything from microphones, audio amplifiers, incoming signals off the
radio, individual voice responses, or every combination thereof.  It would
seem a  lot better for checking the speech amp than the old audio signal
generator and scope or level meter method,  since you could check the
instantaneous response curve of your entire system, all the way from your
larynx to the transmitting antenna.  And this one costs only 100 bucks.
Bernie KC8RPW in Columbus OH has the cheapie version and he is  highly
satisfied with it, but I think I would spend a few more $$$ for the true
spectrum analyser instead of just the bar graph.  Wonder if anyone else has
used one of these?

It is called the TrueRTA Audio Analyzer.  Best of all, it's downloadable, so
no waiting for a CD to arrive in the mail.  There is also a free version,
with very limited functionality, but I would try that before investing money
in the "good" one.

http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/