John and all,

I mean no disrespect, and I'll apologize now if what follows offends you or
anyone. I agree - to a point - about pointing accuracy. Let's face it - of the
three FM satellites currently available to us, SO-50 is the largest target we
have. It is a 35mm (13.78-inch) cube. We're shooting signals at it from
hundreds of miles away, so even the most accurate of pointing likely is a
little of dead-center ... hihi.

That fact notiwthstanding, however, I remain convinced that each individual
station has its own sensitivity to pointing accuracy relative to effective
communications. Stations running relatively high power levels and
well-calibrated motorized antenna systems likely can be less accurate and still
be effective. I don't believe I and others enjoy that luxury when we set out to
work the satellites on handheld stations running lower power levels - in some
cases, much lower power levels.

The International Space Station provides at least a partial illustration. Here,
I don't worry about Doppler tuning with the ISS because (1) it's orbit is lower
(thus, it's closer) and (2) its radio runs significantly more power than any of
our other smateur satellites. Even at a "low power" setting of 5 watts out, it
is 20x more powerful than SO-50 and 10x more powerful than AO-27. I don't have
to be as careful with pointing or Doppler tuning to enjoy a good experience on
an ISS pass. Not so when trying to capture and keep, for example, AO-27's
half-watt signal.

Before I started working the amateur satellites about 14 months ago, I had
spent several years enjoying visible passes of the ISS whenever I could. As I
learned of the available amateur satellites and decided to give them a try with
a handheld station, it became apparent to me very quickly that my "practice" on
the ISS would be helpful. I use a compass to match AOS/mid-pass/LOS positions
with known landmarks here, and then I visualize how a satellite will arc across
the sky relative to my location on a given pass. I believe that has improved my
pointing accuracy significantly, and I further believe that accuracy makes a
difference at times in whether I make a successful contact.

This morning on AO-51, I made contacts with KB1RVT in Maine and WA3SWJ in
Maryland. Those contacts provided the 29th and 30th states I have worked on the
FM satellites using my Yaesu VX-7R HT set at 50 milliwatts (.05-watt) output. I
have used either an Arrow dual-band yagi or my current Elk dual-band log
periodic to make all of those "flea power" contacts. I don't believe any would
have been possible without pointing and tracking that is as accurate as I can
make it, given my hand-holding and manual tracking.

That being said, I believe your creation of an antenna bore sight is an
outstandning idea - one that will help anyone improve the effectiveness of
stations using tower/mast-mounted antennas with motorized Az/El rotation
systems. Congratulations on that, and thank you for sharing it with the BB.

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL
Athens, Ga. - EM84ha