Calling "blaming" the website problems a "cop out" is not a true statement, at
least in my opinion.  Yes, there are "other" ways of exchanging information
with the various persons involved with AMSAT.  However, those "other" ways are
not always apparent nor are those methods readily available to everyone.  Then
there is the problem of knowing just which person in the organization is
responsible for the subject of the correspondence.  Contacting the "wrong"
person will at least delay the exchange and sometimes result in no exchange at
all.

Like it or not, in today's "information age" when a presence on the "web" is
established the website becomes "the" focus point for the distribution of
up-to-date information and when various reply functions are established on the
website those functions become the principle media of information exchange.
AMSAT is not the only organization that has been lacking in the maintaining of
the website.  There are many other groups that are just as guilty (even "more"
guilty in many cases) of not keeping their web presence current.  Often, when
the website is not functioning properly, people will just ignore the website
and then "forget" the whole thing.  That goes for many things, not just where
volunteering is involved.  The result is that a lot of potentially beneficial
things end up in "Never Never Land" rather than actually helping the situation.

One thing that this discussion has accomplished is to bring some of the
problems which have been affecting the organization into "the light of day"
and, as such, efforts are being made to correct the problems.  Probably, there
have been some feelings "hurt" in the case of people who haven't been "doing
their jobs" for any variety of reasons.  There are all sorts of reasons why and
I won't even try to list even a number of those reasons.  But, it comes down to
finding people who have not only the skills needed to perform certain tasks but
who also have the time to accomplish those tasks as well as the desire to
accomplish them.

The "gist" of the situation is that one needs to "lead, follow, or get out of
the way".

Glen, K9STH
AMSAT 239 / LM 463

Website:  http://k9sth.com