From: "William Leijenaar" <pe1...@yahoo.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 8:04 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: All Satellites

Hello AMSATs,

I agree that APRS can have a higher power transmittter, because of its small
amount of time to get the data broadcasted. However the workability with the
HT and whipe antenna is only an advantage for the downlink. For the uplink
there will be no advantage.

Personally I believe that making a satellite easier accessable will also
decrease its functional efficiency. This is especially the case for
satellites with limited user access, like single channel FM satellites. This
also includes APRS. The same issue is valide for a geostationary satellite,
with the addition that a geostationary satellite would be overloaded in
short time by more and more stronger stations as fixed antennas can be used.
Only the uplink power level would be the parameter of "competition".
Resulting in a privat chat satellite for only few (high power) users.

Satellites for emergency communication sounds very interresting, and
personally I believe it can give a great advantage when doing it well. The
question is only what will work well in an emergency situation. It will
depend on the needs and the availability of equipment in the effected area.
I believe that digital communication will be of limited use as you need also
a computer, modem, keyboard, screen, software etc besides your radio. Only
one thing missing and you will not be "heared". I don't say it is
impossible, but to make the system work the ground stations need to be made
more easier somehow. Maybe HT APRS in combination with voice to text
conversion (and opposite) would be an idea ?

Besides the technical difficulty there is also the (human) organising
factor. I heared some ideas about an easy to access geostationary satellite
with high power downlink. That would be great, but without any communication
control it would be like the FM LEOs where everyone talks at the same time
and nobody is able to get there message through.
It might be solved with a central control centre on a safe place (maybe by
the Amateur Radio Emergency Service ?) that has control over the satellite
radio and uses it as a remote radio "ear" in space. In this way it is also
possible to use one frequency simplex system.

Just some ideas,

73 de PE1RAH,
William Leijenaar
---