Joseph Armbruster wrote:
> Awesome stuff!!  I'll have to check out this library tonight.  I
> started hacking at something similar but started digging into the
> internals of SGP4/SDP4, then got distracted and never finished.  If
> you have a rotator, it'd be a cool quick project to slap pyserial on
> there and control your rotator.  It'd be pretty awesome to have a Kep
> to Rotator Control in about 10 lines of code :-)
>
> Joe
That reminds me, I should give thanks to Howard, G6LVB.  I've never met
Howard, but his G6LVB tracker project first put me onto G3RUH's Plan 13
work.  Howards PIC based tracker implements Plan 13 to do automatic
antenna guiding, and seems very cool.

I have actually experimented with using my library to predict and
compensate for Doppler shift using my FT-817.    I used pyserial to send
out frequency change commands as documented in the FT-817 manual.   It
worked reasonably well.  For example, following is a simple visual
display of a pass of the three small satellites COMPASS-1, CUTE-1.7 APD
and SEEDS that I did back on Jun 13, 2008.

WARNING: this JPG is 1.7Mb, and 1600x8000 or so in size.   Don't blame
me if your computer melts trying to display it.

http://brainwagon.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/three.jpg

You can see COMPASS-1 at the beginning, with its sharply whistling
tones.   Then CUTE will step in, and finally SEEDS.   You can clearly
see the steps in frequency every second or so.

If you'd rather have the audio, you can get it here:

http://brainwagon.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/threefer-20080613.mp3

73 Mark K6HX