I would want to take the "chance" of trying to open those 4 solar panels,
even if it was to "see what happens". I don't know the exact layout of the
equipment on board, but opening those panels just might trigger something
good to happen. At this point, there really isn't anything to lose. Who
knows? Opening the panels might expose the batteries to more heat from the
sun, which could possibly cause them to "open" quicker, or if the
orientation of AO-40 is off, the extra panels might receive enough light to
get that IHU working again. Or if there's a short due to the "event", moving
the panels may remove the short (or fix an open). Do any of the command
stations want to elaborate on why the panels have remained retracted? Has
this been discussed? Of course, this is all depending on if the receiver
will accept the command in the first place...

   I would wonder about the sensors picking up light inside the spacecraft
too. Doesn't sound possible that telemetry would still be able to report
this if there's holes in the craft.

   I'm only questioning opening the panels because it seems like it's the
only possible thing left to try to resurrect the bird, but nobody wants to
make the decision - "just in case", which is understandable too. But I'd say
go for it since there's nothing else to try & she's been silent for a while
now.

Just my 2 cents worth. Keeping my fingers crossed that AO-40 comes back!...
Larry