Ramsey actually has a pretty good low noise preamp for 70 cm and those are
cheap.  Takes about 15 minutes to assemble the kit.  I do recommend replacing
the fixed capacitor across the coil with a variable.  That way you don't have
to "fiddle" with bending the coil to tune it.  You just "set" the coil and then
use the variable to adjust the actual frequency.

I bought one of the 70 cm kits and one of the 222 MHz kits several months ago.
Both of them work very well.  The 222 MHz has a slug tuned coil but the 70 cm
is fixed and you are supposedly to tune it by moving the turns around.  But,
MUCH easier to adjust if you replace the fixed capacitor with a variable.

I am almost sure that they ship internationally.  The kits are less than $15
U.S.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com