From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Bob- W7LRD
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 9:02 AM
To: Joel Black
Cc: AMSAT
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Membership Benefits

Hi Joel and all

-This is a timely question for me.  Yesterday I organized and ran (with the
help of Wayne-W9AE) a AMSAT table at a local hamfest.  I had the opportunity
to meet many local hams both satellite ops and the curious.  I extolled the
virtues of AMSAT and the satellite community in general.  A few points I
noticed as an undercurrent in some of the conversations.  We hams are
generally a frugal bunch and in some cases just plain cheap.  I had several
antennas on display as well as several pictures, one was of an astronaut on
a EVA installing one of our  antennas on the outside of the space station.
Some of the questions went like this, one guy asked, "do you have to belong
to AMSAT to operate satellites?", can I get this software (Satpc32) free on
line?" "are these books available any where else?"  My response to these and
similar queries was, "see this picture?" what do you think the shipping cost
is?"  "What we do, is rocket science, and rocket science is not cheap".
How many active satellite operators do  not belong to AMSAT?  How many use
pirated tracking programs.  How many do not contribute "something" to
AMSAT.  Maybe some aspect of of AMSAT ticks you off, so you cut the cord.
I'm sure some part of the government ticks you off, you don't move to
Canada.  In order for AMSAT and our efforts to succeed it takes money, and
yes probably lots of it.  This event was a learning process for me and in
the future I hope to hone my abilities and create more dues paying and
contributing members.  Finally- "this is rocket science and rocket science
is not cheap.

73 Bob W7LRD
Washington State AMSAT area coordinator