At 09:08 AM 6/8/2010, Larry Teran wrote:
>SPAM get out
>
>On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Simone T <terra...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip to avoid propagating spam URL further>

These ones are the result of the account's owner getting infected
with something, and a spam bot hijacking their account.  Complaining
about the spam does nothing (never does).  The most successful
approach has been to inform the affected person of the problem, and
get them to scan their PC with something like the free scanner from
www.malwarebytes.org , or another good malware scanner, then change
their webmail password.

There is a pattern to this sort of spam/infection:

1.  It ALWAYS comes from a webmail capable address (I have seen
Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail accounts infected).

2.  It always features a single line with a URL, maybe with one line
of generic text "Hey, look at this" or similar.

How I discovered it was the account owner's PC being infected was
that I posted an advisory message in the group that was getting spam,
and suggesting everyone check their PC for malware.  The account
owner (that the spam claimed to come from) came forward and described
what happened, and that they had fixed their system, once made aware
of the problem.  Subsequent instances of this type of spam have
revealed a similar pattern.  This was first sighted a few months ago.

Anyway, hope this helps people affected by this sort of problem to
find and remove the offending malware.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com