Zack,

Do you have any way to measure RF output power from the radio?  A
power meter (or SWR meter) that indicates forward power.  If you do,
measure power with Arrow connected to output of the meter.  Measure
reflected power (or SWR).  If you have a dummy load connect it to the
meter and test the radio with that and compare that with what you see
with the antenna connected.

A duck is not a good 50-ohm load and depends on the field of the
radio case to provide a good match.  So connecting a duck to a power
or SWR meter will not give an accurate indication.  If the arrow is
pointed at the repeater in the proper polarity it should indicate at
least  couple s-units higher received signal than a duck because the
Arrow has gain and a duck actually has loss.

Another thing that might "get" you with your simple comparison is the
battery.  Can you measure the voltage?  Even though radios and
antennas "seem" to be different a soft battery can drive you nuts
with varying results.  If you have fresh charged spare battery try it
with your comparison tests.

73, Ed

At 01:42 PM 1/12/2011, Zachary Beougher wrote:
>I did an additional test since my last email.......  I tried two
>different radios (D7 and G71) using the same battery and I CANNOT
>get into the local repeater now.  I came inside the house, put the
>duck on, and I can hit the repeater fine.
>
>This would narrow it down to an issue with the Arrow.  Does anyone
>have any ideas what might cause these symptoms?  I have not changed
>anything with it.
>
>Zack
>KD8KSN

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-1.4kw*, 432-100w*, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com