At 11:28 AM 3/6/2011, Clint Bradford wrote:
>First, befriend a Motorola technician at your local Moto dealership
>- if you haven't already.
>
>And you really have two price-point options: about US$400 for an
>MFJ-269, or a true piece of bench service gear at about US$5000.
>
>If you get an MFJ-269, "use" your contact with a real service tech
>to "compare" results. There was an issue with QC on the MFJ-269
>(SOURCE: Personal experience, as I sold them for a couple of years).
>So - if you get a good one - or one with consistent results, you'll
>really enjoy it.
>
>Clint, K6LCS
>909-241-7666

I bought mine used on e-bay and spent too much for it.  Failed the
third day and cost me $70+shipping to get it fixed by MFJ.  I ended
up spending more than a brand new unit ;-)  But is compares well with
Bird43 measurements (which are 95% accurate) so good enough for ham
use at my place.  I modified mine to operate on LF for tuning loading
coils on those "short" LF antennas.  See my website under tech topics.

I ran it on a 4AH gel-cell for a couple years until I got tired of
lugging around the battery (installed ten NiMH AA cells and charge it
with the bench PS).  It is very handy for those quick checks of
antennas or cables.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45