At 09:37 AM 4/2/2011, you wrote:
>I have been following this discussion with some interest. I too have
>experienced working AO-51 in areas where the footprint is over relatively
>low population areas.
>
>Despite being thrilled by my first contacts from VK4 (my home state) my
>enthusuiasm on AO-51 operation quickly wained due to a few "big gun"
>operators who seemed to consider AO-51 a private chat channel. Often
>passes would be completely monopolised by two or three operators leaving
>no gaps for other stations. Sadly when these "guns" were out of footprint
>there was seldom anybody to the north to contact.

I haven't worked AO-51 in a while.  Last attempt was using the base
station, but the antennas aren't too good.  I'll have to drag out the
portable station sometime and see how I go. :)

>Down here in VK0 I'm pretty sure I'm the first to get the footprint and
>have noticed the same beahviour. Unless of course I call first (which I
>have done on only a few occassions). Being a "rare" stations has it's
>advatages!

Yes, very rare.  VK0 is the only VK call are I haven't worked via
satellite.  :)

>I guess the bottom line is to spend more time listening, have a little
>patience, courtesy and respect for other hams. This needs to apply to the
>"guns" as much as anybody else.

In the SO-35 days, I was a relative big gun, even with portable
gear.  I found it best to sit back, as well as occasionally help a
new station score a contact.

>Whilst there has been a lot of discussion about how to reign in the rogues
>surely the simplest solution is to ignore them? It's a practice I use in
>any pile-up and is an opportunity for people to change their operating
>behaviour.

Yep, ignoring is best, though I might make a passing comment without
acknowledging their call, in the hope they get the hint.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com