As a matter of information, until relatively recently the ARRL suggested their
own set of phonetics that had basically nothing to do with the ICAO or even the
old military phonetics.  It was closer to the still in effect APCO phonetic
alphabet.  In fact, they "suggested" at least 3 different phonetic alphabets
over the years.  I looked in the 1970 Handbook and the ARRL phonetic alphabet
is still there along with the ICAO phonetic alphabet.  I don't have a 1971
Handbook so I don't know if they were still "pushing" their own.  However, the
ARRL finally gave up and in the 1972 Handbook only the ICAO phonetic alphabet
is listed.

You could always tell someone who only had ARRL publications as reference
because those operators were the only ones using the ARRL phonetic alphabet.
Even the headquarters' staff didn't use the ARRL phonetic alphabet!

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com