Greg, Dan:

One of my first antennas put up in Alaska was a simple 2m J-Pole.  I
used the upper portion of a TV mast and used a 1/4 wave section of
copper tubing clamped 3/4 wave length below the top end of the
mast.  Attaching coax to the stub and mast at a point to give a
50-ohm match.  Worked fine.  Note that the longer part of the J-Pole
continued below where the 1/4 wave stub attached for about ten
feet.  There was no matching problems.  What affect on the radiation
pattern resulted is unknown, but I observed no detrimental effects.

Adding ground radials to the bottom of the J-pole should not have a
big effect on tuning.  I think the only effect on radiation is that
you establish a better ground for the vertical 1/2 wave dipole
(perhaps lowering the pattern a little closer to the horizon.

I built a 6m/10m J-pole and it is mounted at ground level attached to
a short tower set into the ground.  The tower seems to not affect the
tuning point.  This summer I may try adding some 1/4 wave radials to
the base to see if it has any affect.  I set it up mainly for working
6m/10m FM, but is also usable for mode-A satellites.  I have compared
it to my 3-element triband yagi on A07 mode-A and the beam is better.
http://www.kl7uw.com/J-Pole.htm

Sidenote:  I have re-installed satellite antennas for 2m, 70cm , and
13cm on my short tower this weekend.  Both 2m and 70cm antennas
working well.  I have not installed the 2.4 GHz LNA or
downconverters, as yet.  Control wiring for the satellite antennas
has not been connected plus the B5400 az-el rotator control unit
still requires repair so antennas not rotatable.
http://www.kl7uw.com/sat.htm

73, Ed - KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45