After seeing the recent post by Drew about interference from AO-51 on
145.880 coming from a Louisville repeater, as the president of the ham
club in Louisville, I forwarded the posting from Drew out to the
membership.

Here is some info I received from some members:
>I listened to the audio track. The call letters of the interfering signal is
>KB4PTJ.
>This repeater is located in Shelbyville, KY and operates on 444.050
>TX/449.050RX
>with a PL of 91.5, and is associated with its companion repeater located in
>Williamsburg, KY (also 444.050/PL
>100.0) and linked via the Internet to several repeaters around the eastern US.
>I know of one in Virginia and another
>in New Jersey.
>

>The owner is: Will Jones, a HVAC contractor who lives in the
>Williamsburg/Corbin area.
>He may well be interested that his repeater audio is interfering with the
>AO-51 Satellite.
>Will is very knowledgeable and would want to do right by the situation.

My guess, is that since this is a 70cm repeater, the chances of it
actually emitting on 145mhz are pretty slim.  My bet is on a rouge
cross-band repeater by someone who picked a 'clear frequency'.

I have been monitoring the frequency and it seems quiet.  If it comes
up again we can organize a foxhunt to locate and educate the owner.

After seeing the recent post by Drew about interference from AO-51 on
145.880 coming from a Louisville repeater, as the president of the ham
club in Louisville, I forwarded the posting from Drew out to the
membership mailing list.

Here is some info I received from some club members in response:

>I listened to the audio track. The call letters of the interfering signal is
>KB4PTJ.
>This repeater is located in Shelbyville, KY and operates on 444.050
>TX/449.050RX
>with a PL of 91.5, and is associated with its companion repeater located in
>Williamsburg, KY (also 444.050/PL
>100.0) and linked via the Internet to several repeaters around the eastern US.
>I know of one in Virginia and another
>in New Jersey.
>

>The owner is: Will Jones, a HVAC contractor who lives in the
>Williamsburg/Corbin area.
>He may well be interested that his repeater audio is interfering with the
>AO-51 Satellite.
>Will is very knowledgeable and would want to do right by the situation.

My guess, is that since this is a 70cm repeater, the chances of it
actually emitting on 145.880 mhz are pretty slim.  My bet is on a
rouge cross-band repeater by someone who picked what they thought was
a 'clear frequency'.

I have been monitoring the frequency here in Louisville and it seems
quiet now.  If it comes up again we can organize a foxhunt to track it
down and educate the owner.

---
Don Hoover
w...@arrl.net
President, Amateur Radio Transmitting Society of Louisville

http://www.w4cn.org