On 8/5/11 2:33 PM, Ted wrote:

> Americans built it. They should have the naming rights.
>
> Just because some Russians threw it off their space ship does not give them
> the right to name it (it just gives them the right to break it!)

Americans built the spacecraft BUS. That's most of the spacecraft, but
not all of it. It is also carrying a scientific experiment built by
Russian university students. This is a highly significant part of the
spacecraft in that it formed much of the justification for the Russians
to agree to launch it.

And no, I don't consider the launch of a satellite equivalent to a trip
on a container ship. Value-wise, even a launch to LEO is literally worth
its weight in gold. It is an extremely valuable service and one well
worth some delays, inconveniences -- and bumps -- to get.

Phil, KA9Q