At 05:49 AM 10/11/2011, JoAnne Maenpaa wrote:
Hi George,

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 900 MHz only allocated
> for terrestrial use, worldwide?  I know that there's no amateur
> satellite service allocation at 902 MHz...

The original Cornell Chipsat mission news release that mentioned they were
using 902 MHz was not an amateur radio mission. Not sure what other radio
service they qualified for. Cornell hoped that some "suitably equipped"
amateur earth stations would receive their signals, hence their request.

Still seems a strange choice of frequency, given that GSM phones use these frequencies in many parts of the world.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com