and for the record, AMSAT-UK has a working design for a  29.45 receiver
with 42dB of AGC, crystal filters for the passband, audio  buffering /
filtering with a bonus 10.7MHz I.F. output.- Just in case you want  to add a TX
up
or downconverter for a linear transponder. - Downside is that  although the
board is small, it's not the cubesat format

Thanks

David  G0MRF

In a message dated 18/10/2011 17:59:20 GMT Standard Time, bruni...@usna.edu
 writes:

> I'm  curious, as someone who was involved in designing
> a  nanosatellite.  What sort of payloads would be of
> interest to  the amateur community?

The A#1 Killer AP is something we have tried  twice on short li=ved missions
and which we already have ready for our next  mission, (but no launch
opportunities) is a PSK-31 transponder.!  It  is really more than you first
think:  Please  see:

http://aprs.org/psk31uplink.html

1) Normal HF PSK-31  uplinks on 10 meters where the Doppler is 14 times less
than on the typical  UHF downlink.

2) VHF or UHF *FM* downlink.  Notice FM.  This  means what EVERYONE see's on
their waterfall is EXACTLY whateveryone else  sees.  Thus, everyone just
jumps into the 3 KHz FM audio bandwidth  wherever they see an empty spot and
then can even see THEMSELVES full  duplex because they are transmitting
linear PSK-31 on the uplink on 28.120  while simultaneously seeing what
everyone else is seeing on the VHF or UHF  FM downlink.

3) Because you see what every one else sees, including  yourself, you can
SEE
your good signal or your bad signal, AND you see how  you are shifiting in
Doppler and can correct for it.

4) AND because  it is full duplex, you TX the entire pass in a steady stream
while looking  for QSOs in the downlink.  We could have 20 to 30
SIMULTANEOUSE QSO's  going on at the same time and even be talking to all at
the same  time.

It is the ULTIMATE satellite transponder,  because:

1) Full duplex
2) Minimal Doppler
3) You correct for  your own Doppler
4) 20 to 30 simultaneous users
5) Free software, no  hardware!
6) Vertical 10m antennas are IDEAL power-levelers.  When  overhead (and 10
dB
closer) the signal arrives at the satellite 6 to 10 dB  down due to the
vertical antenna pattern.

It's a win-win-win  mission.  Our attempt failed on PCSAT2 due to a broken
antenna  (pre-launch integrators and astronaut handling) and our attempt on
RAFT  failed due to not enough time available for the tests due to  mission
conflicts during a shor 5 month mission.

Please someone do  this.  It is TRIVIAL to do.  Just combhine a 28.120
PSK-31
receiver and a VHF or UHF FM transmitter.  Done.

Bob,  Wb4APR

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM, i8cvs  <domenico.i8...@tin.it> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I do  remember that when OSCAR-10, OSCAR-13 and AO40 were
> alive and well  this net on AMSAT-BB was full of technical messages
> from W3IWI now  K3IO ,G3RUH, G3WDG, ZL1AOX and many others
> from wich it was possible  to lern the radio technique particularly in the
> field of RF and  antennas.
>
> By the way actually with the prolification of  Microsats,Nanosats and so
on
> the above people seems to be not anymore  interested on satellite
technical
> discussions and they abandoned the  net.
>
> Can anyone explain to me why ?
>
> Thanks for  any answere.
>
> 73" de
>
> i8CVS Domenico