At 11:26 AM 10/25/2011, Diane Bruce wrote:

Yes it is. It is ONLY a freakin' Hobby. If we want kids in our freakin'
HOBBY we need to make it *FUN*. Learning stuff, radio stuff, building
stuff learning what radio is how antennas work. All that stuff.

Agree with the "fun" bit, but "fun" can be defined in so many ways, so whatever floats your boat, if it's to do with ham radio, all's well and good. Everything you've listed... and more!

> There are services which you can and should provide as your skills and
> knowledge allow you to.  Making a choice to not participate in the service

And that is the marketable skill. Many many hams are also computer
types, physicists, engineers.

Who knows where ham radio skills come in handy. Just came back from a local incident, where a key part of the infrastructure failed. I was probably the first to recognise the nature of the problem, though not able to directly help at the time (due to only having a receiver in the car). Eventually, another channel was found, and I helped out with testing to ensure it would be workable until the network is fixed.

> EMCOMM is something that we all have opportunities to help with.  Many

No, EMCOMM is the cancer that is eating Amateur Radio.

No, EMCOMM is just another aspect of the hobby. It works for some, not for others.

But EMCOMM is still not the only reason someone should be getting
into amateur radio.
EMCOMM is what discourages the youth of today from particpating in ham
radio. Get the kids in, get them excited, get them interested in DSP
combining radio and computers, show them FUN. Don't sell them on EMCOMM.

It's not the ONLY reason to get involved, but for some it is A reason. I agree that the exciting technical developments such as DSP and SDR should be promoted to the younger generation, as well as all of the "How it works" and DYI that you can get into. And for others, the thrill of catching that rare DX is the excitement (though not high on my personal priority list). Others will be interested in the Internet connected modes (IRLP, Echolink, D-STAR, etc), and some will be drawn to the simplicity and uniqueness of Morse Code, or perhaps operating old boat anchors on AM. All aspects of the hobby need to be promoted, people will find their own personal reasons to join in... or not. And yes, there will be a small number civic minded young people who want to be able to get into EMCOMM. We just have to make sure we don't sell ourselves short.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com