I'm sorry Clint, but this is the way I see it:
If you can't hear the downlink, stop calling cq because you won't hear anyone to talk to.
I know that station for a long time and this wasn't the first time.
When I call cq on a lineair transponder, Jean-Marie is also there to call also cq on the same frequency, why?
I then just move to another qrg, problem solved :-)
But on a fm sat that isn't the case. You get frustrated after a while.
73,
Eric.

Amateur Radio Station ON4HF
Eric Knaps