From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2012 1:50 PM
To: Robert McGwier
Cc: amsat bb
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Congratulations Bob on QST plaque!!

Thanks!

The number of emails and letters I have received on that one alternative
emergency power article has been 20 times what I have ever received before
on any paper or article.  The interesting thing is that it took 2 years
before QST published it.

In the original draft, I had indicated all kinds of ways to use the 300 to
500 VDC from ones home solar system, or the 300 to 500 VDC from their
Hybrid or EV or the 330 VDC that is inside every modern electronics system
or power supply to power all kinds of things during a power outage.  But
QST was concerned that publishing anything with voltages over 12 volts was
too dangerous.

I guess it is easy to forget 40 years ago when the cubscout manual had
plans for every 8 year old to build a 2 tube radio set running on 150 VDC.

ANyway, to me, this whole new system of high voltage DC that surrounds us
and exists in EVERY modern electronics power supply is a field that is wide
open for all kinds of new ideas about power, and without a SINGLE POUND of
60 Hz iron.

It is still DANGEROUS, just like it was back in TUBE transmitters, but a
resistor and capacitor across any HV switch solves the FIRE problem, and
proper procedure solves the others.  We should not hide from these dangers,
but learn to embrace them and use them to our advantage.  Such as reducing
copper wire losses by a factor of 10 to 1 by simply running things (with
univeral input supplies) directly on 330 VDC ..

I ramble...

See my rambling web page that begins here:  http://aprs.org/APRS-SPHEV.html
and then goes on to alternative energy and emergency Field Day power (from
hybrids)...

Bob, WB4aPR