The antennas on the ISS are ground plane type antennas for 2m and  70cm.
So one could just say that the antennas are vertically  polarized.  However,
the ISS superstructure has gotten so big that it does  actually block or
reflect the signal between the ISS and the ground  station.  So we recommend
that a circular polarized beam be used as the  polarity changes throughout the
pass.  I think most of the ARISS schools  have used RHCP but there have
been a few where switching to LHCP during the pass  did help.

As a side note, the ARISS schools are to have a backup radio with an
antenna that has no moving parts.  Usually that means a 1/4 wave  vertical.  I
use a vertical and an Eggbeater for my school contacts with an  antenna switch
between the two.  You might want to do the same thing with a  Quadrifilar
and a vertical.  I always tell the backup radio operator to  switch between
the two during the pass and go with whichever has the greater  signal
strength.  They are usually stunned by the change in signal strength  between
the
two as the pass progresses.  The signal with the beam is much  more stable
and stronger as expected.

Hope this helps.

73,
Charlie Sufana AJ9N
One of the ARISS mentors

In a message dated 10/27/2012 2:31:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,