From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Bill Acito
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:11 PM
To: Stefan Wagener; i8cvs
Cc: Amsat - BBs
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Amateur Satellites and the emergency on tornadoin
Oklahoma and Texas

Yep, I was going to raise the same point and link. They list the following
"benefits":

- providing Satellite based Amateur Radio
                                                Services/meet
                                                the long felt need for the
Amateur Radio Operators of
                                                South Asian region
(especially a mode B bird)
- bring Satellite
                                                Services within the reach of
the common man and
                                                popularize Space Technology
among the masses.
- stimulation of technical interest and
                                                awareness among the younger
generation by providing them
                                                with an opportunity to
develop their technological
                                                projects
- providing a low
                                                cost readily accessible
reliable means of communication
                                                during emergencies and
calamities like flood,
                                                earthquakes, etc.

I never said the last one is a "falsehood". I am suggesting it does not hold
anywhere near the same weight as the first three.

I have never been in a tornado. But I would suggest that those hams in the
impact zone no longer have access to any working equipment, which means hams
in the surrounding areas are coming in to help, and have the choice. If I
was going into the impact zone and had the choice of what communications I
might bring, it would be
- a portable cell site
- mobile/HT VHF/UHF
- mobile HF
...in that order. A portable satellite station would be a distant fourth.

If you read the summaries in the aftermath of Joplin, amateur radio
(VHF/UHF) played a critical role in the minutes leading up to, and the hours
after the tornado tore through. Then mobile phone, mobile date, and social
media took over when the mobile cell sites came on line.

Back to prepping my FD station,

Bill W1PA