Yes, indeed the fine art of pulse counting works very well. My rotor controller does the same with the "clicker" kind of rotors, where the contacts were intended to drive a solenoid ratchet switch mechanism for positioning. Instead of the Arduino, I used a Basic Stamp (this is pre-Arduino heritage), but the pulses are 6-10 degrees apart. 500 per 360 degrees would be too fast for this little squirrel.

Good luck with your projects.

Greg  KO6TH

Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa wrote:
Yes, me to...

I do have a old Japanese tracking camera mounting also with 24 AC motors here... 360 degrees azimuth with stop switch on 0 and 360 degrees and about 0 to 120 degrees of elevation (0 ~ horizon, 90 ~cenit)

Pretty good construction, a ham here in Havana have one the uses to move 2 phased yaguis of 5 elements for 2m... the brake system is primitive but works fine...

Pointing is by eye and as in your case no means of feedback... recently after completing some TODO-IN-THE-FUTURE projects with Jal/JalLib (Just Another Language and libs for PIC devices) and pics I get hands on this project

A couple o months or so (maybe more) there was a thread on the list about this...

I find the arduino project from K3NG, but no arduino here, only Microchip PIC (PIC18F4520) so I have to re-invent the wheel...

I was thinking on gray encoding the position with 7 bits, but this is A LOT of cables to run..

Then I see on the specs of the arduino a feedback mechanism of pulse counting... and find on the internet a project from a polish? ham that uses this mechanism wit a ATMEGA MCU but with a trick... (I have the link on my work place... link will be tomorrow)

I explain, he uses several magnets glued on the edge of an intermediate gear in the reduction mechanism... then get a magnetic switch (or a hal sensing device if you like) close to the edge where the magnets are...

This mechanism do about 500+ pulses for each 360 degrees... pretty neat an simple... with only 2 cables...

The only thing is you have to reset the mechanical position of the antennas at each power-on to reset the internal count in the pic/arduino/atmega MCU...

I'm on the ideas-on-the-boad part of this project for making it 450 degrees instead of only 360 and how to deal in software with the 0 to 90 degrees restriction on the elevation part...

Just another idea to the brain storm...

73 de CO7WT.

PS: control will be serial emulating a  RS232B protocol from Yaesu...