Hi Mike,

Yes, the length of the elements will be affected. Fatter elements look electrically longer, I think, so they may need to be shortened a bit to compensate for a shift in frequency. Impedance may be affected as well.

You will also need to keep the same mounting scheme, as to whether the elements are insulated from the main boom or not.

But, experimenting is what it's all about. Build it and see how it performs. Adjust. Do it again. You will end up with a good antenna, and a practical knowledge of how to build it, when you're done. Then let us know how you did it.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

Mike Hoblinski wrote:
I was looking at constructing a Log Periodic antenna and was wondering
about useing square material instead of round elements. The plans call out
1/4 round hollow tube for the elements. I ran across some aluminum extrusion
material from a company called Microrax http://www.microrax.com/ that sells
small aluminum extrusion and brackets plus hardware.

Their extrusions are 10mm square and come in legnths up to 35 inches. I was
looking at going with some larger extrusion material for the boom. All of the
extrusion material has nice channels cut into it that could be used for element
spacing adjustment and easy mounting. My other thought was to tap the ends of
the elements and add stainless steel screws to adjust the legnths.

I am wondering about going from 1/4 inch tound elements to about 3/8 inch square
would effect the performance of this antenna.

Mike Hoblinski

N6IMF