Well Paul,

If you think about it. We might still have a few thousand folks left that
are still members of one or more AMSATs. Maybe 10% or less are active at
all. For example, the last two passes (a few minutes ago) on SO-50 (2
active). FO-29  (2 active). So, the big question for me is why would anyone
spend $10Million for a few hundred folks (or less) to chat on a HEO
satellite. The answer for me is simple: No one!

The key is to find additional incentives (PR, payloads, science etc) which
Amsat is doing by focusing on STEM, working with universities and looking
at new and innovative ways. That's the same route AMSAT-DL has been trying
for years. Unfortunately, with all their efforts their own government did
not even support them.

Also, if you look at the current funding stream from NASA, ESA and others.
For example, $1 Million will support a multitude of cubesats in LEO helping
students and universities everywhere. ESA supports HamTV on the ISS. Why,
because it is great PR, connects thousands of students and classrooms to
the astronauts and builds future human capacity in science and engineering.
Bottom line: It is all in the package and ragchewing hams is the least
attractive :-)

Stefan, VE4NSA