AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-349

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

In this edition:

* KySat-2 Ham Radio Software Update
* UKube-1 on its way to Kazakhstan
* PUCP-SAT-1 Deploys POCKET-PUCP Femtosatellite
* FUNcube-1 Whole Orbit Data Available
* WRAPS: A Portable Satellite Antenna Rotator System
* NASA video of ham radio participation in Juno
* 10 GHz CubeSat ESTELLE to carry Cold Gas Thruster
* $50SAT team seek help from radio hams
* KB1WTW Addresses US House Committee
* ARISS News
* Satellite Shorts from All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-349.01
ANS-349 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 349.01
  From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
December 15, 2013
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-349.01

KySat-2 Ham Radio Software Update

Jason Rexroat KK4AJE of the University of Kentucky KySat-2 team
brings news of the latest version of the amateur radio ground station
telemetry decoder software.

We really appreciate everyone using our ground station software to
decode KySat-2 packets!  We are continuing to take suggestions and
made several more bug fixes, and the third version of this software
is now available for download!

Link: http://ssl.engineering.uky.edu/amateur-radio-operators/
KySat-2 Info: http://kentuckyspace.com/ or http://kysat2.engr.uky.edu/

Our changelog is included in the download, and also copied below.
Again, we appreciate all who have helped us gather telemetry from our
satellite, and please continue to do so!  Email us with any bugs or
suggestions for improvements and we’ll be sure to work on it!

Changelog:

- “Share” button to automatically email us our log files, along with
counters showing how many beacons you’ve shared
- Custom COM port selection in case your created COM port doesn’t
show up in our list
- Drag and dockable tabs
- Packaged into single executable file

These changes will enable further customization on your part, and
the automatic sharing will put the data into a format our automated
scripts can handle to generate our running telemetry tables. I know
that the ping functionality is still disabled, but we are pushing
through further subsystem checkout that will allow us to enable this
and other functionality for you!

Jason Rexroat KK4AJE
Space Systems Lab, University of Kentucky
jason.rexroat<at>uky.edu

Minotaur-1 ELaNa-4 Satellites http://amsat-uk.org/satellites/elana-4-
cubesats/

[ANS thanks Jason Rexroat, KK4AJE, AMSAT-UK for the above
announcement]

UKube-1 on its way to Kazakhstan

UKube-1 left Clyde Space in Glasgow on its way to Baikonur in
Kazakhstan on December 12, 2013. The 3U CubeSat carries a set of
AMSAT-UK FUNcube boards (FUNcube-2) to provide an Educational beacon
and a 435/145 MHz linear transponder for amateur radio SSB/CW
communications.

Reports on a space flight forum indicate that the Soyuz-2-1B/Fregat-
M which will carry UKube-1 is currently expected to launch on March
27, 2014.

Russian launch schedule thread
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26990.450

Clyde Space on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/clydespace

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above announcement]

PUCP-SAT-1 Deploys POCKET-PUCP Femtosatellite

The Peruvian CubeSat PUCP-SAT-1 (145.840 MHz AX.25 FM) was carried
by the microsatellite UNISAT-5 which was launched on a Dnepr on
November 21, 2013.

When in orbit UNISAT-5 deployed PUCP-SAT-1 and Neilsao Vilchez
reports PUCP-SAT-1 has in turn deployed an even smaller satellite
POCKET-PUCP.

The femtosatellite POCKET-PUCP measures just 8.35 by 4.95 by 1.55 cm
and has a 10 mW 12 wpm CW (On-Off-Keying OOK) beacon on 437.200 MHz.
The team at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú would
welcome any reception reports.

Neilsao Vilchez says:

On Wednesday December 4 we detected our satellite PUCP-SAT-1
(launched from Dnepr RS-20/UNISAT-5).

We think it is one of the following objects:

-2013-066AC
-2013-066S
-2013-066T
-2013-066U

Which are very close to each other and we can not resolve which one
it is.

We got our packet beacon at 145.840 MHz with packets stays 20
seconds, so, it is undoubtedly our beacon, we know that PUCP-SAT-1 is
alive, healthy, it has been recharging its batteries okay.

On Friday, December 6, as planned, the POCKET-PUCP (femtosatellite)
was released around 0800 UT, we are looking for its 437.200 MHz
transmission at 12 wpm.

Its transmission is OA4PUCP SAT1 XXX YYY ZZZ

PUCP-SAT-1 website http://inras.pucp.edu.pe/en/proyectos/pucp-sat-
1/especificaciones-del-satelite/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pucp

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above announcement]

FUNcube-1 Whole Orbit Data Available

The Data Warehouse now provides the facility to download FUNcube-1
(AO-73)Whole Orbit Data (WOD) as a .csv file. The file is produced at
23:59 every day and contains data for the preceding 24 hours. It
contains all the channels shown on the WOD graph, which shows the
latest orbit data captured.

The WOD page is at
https://warehouse.funcube.org.uk/wod.html

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above announcement]

WRAPS: A Portable Satellite Antenna Rotator System

The January 2014 edition of QST contains an article by ARRL
Education and Technology Program Coordinator Mark Spencer WA8SME on a
portable azimuth and elevation rotator system for tracking satellites
called WRAPS.

WRAPS stands for Wobbler RadFxSat Antenna Pointing System rotator
system which Mark developed to support tracking CubeSats such as
FUNcube-1 and the upcoming Fox-1 and RadFxSat/Fox-1B. His target
audience includes school groups who want to access the capabilities
of the CubeSats.

Thanks to Mark and the ARRL a copy of the article in PDF format is
available here WRAPS - Mark Spencer WA8SME QST Jan 2014 Copyright
ARRL. For personal use only - no copying, reprinting or distribution
without written permission from the ARRL.

Mark Spencer WA8SME gave a presentation on WRAPS during the 2013
AMSAT Space Symposium in Houston, Texas, on Friday, November 1, 2013.
His talk was recorded by Patrick Stoddard VA7EWK.

Apologies for missing the start of Mark's introduction, and for the
quality of this video. The Symposium organizers dimmed the lights in
the front of the room for this presentation, which meant Mark was
essentially standing in the dark as he gave his presentation.

At the AMSAT Forum at the 2013 Dayton Hamvention the presentations on
education wrapped up with a talk by Mark Spencer, ARRL Education &
Technology Program Director. "Spence", WA8SME, briefly described his
classroom experiments for measuring the "wobble" of the Fox
satellite, demonstrating a Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) for a
solar array, and WRAPS a lower cost azimuth-elevation rotor system
for lightweight satellite antennas.

A limited number of complete WRAPS systems will be available through
the AMSAT-NA Store. As of December 12 they were not yet available,
and AMSAT-NA do not at present have a firm date when they will be in
stock. Because of uncertainty of the price and number which will be
available, they are not taking advanced orders. When they are ready
to process orders, AMSAT-NA will make the information public.
Please do not call the AMSAT office.

ARRL http://www.arrl.org/

AMSAT-NA http://www.amsat.org/

Fox-1 http://ww2.amsat.org/?page_id=1113

[ANS thanks AMSAT-NA, the ARRL, and Spence, WA8SME, for the above
announcement]

NASA video of ham radio participation in Juno

When NASA's Juno spacecraft flew past Earth on Oct. 9, 2013, it
received a boost in speed of more than 7.3 kilometers per second,
which set it on course for a July 4, 2016, rendezvous with Jupiter,
the largest planet in our solar system.

During the flyby, Juno's Waves instrument, which is tasked with
measuring radio and plasma waves in Jupiter's magnetosphere, recorded
amateur radio signals. This was part of a public outreach effort
involving ham radio operators from around the world. They were
invited to say "HI" to Juno by coordinating radio transmissions that
carried the same Morse-coded message.
Operators from every continent, including Antarctica, participated.
The results can be seen in this video clip at

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA17744.mov

One of Juno's sensors, a special kind of camera optimized to track
faint stars, also had a unique view of the Earth-moon system. The
result was an intriguing, low-resolution glimpse of what our world
would look like to a visitor from afar.

"If Captain Kirk of the USS Enterprise said, 'Take us home, Scotty,'
this is what the crew would see," said Scott Bolton, Juno principal
investigator at the Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio. "In
the movie, you ride aboard Juno as it approaches Earth and then soars
off into the blackness of space. No previous view of our world has
ever captured the heavenly waltz of Earth and moon."

The cameras that took the images for the movie are located near the
pointed tip of one of the spacecraft's three solar-array arms. They
are part of Juno's Magnetic Field Investigation (MAG) and are
normally used to determine the orientation of the magnetic sensors.
These cameras look away from the sunlit side of the solar array, so
as the spacecraft approached, the system's four cameras pointed
toward Earth. Earth and the moon came into view when Juno was about
600,000 miles (966,000 kilometers) away - about three times the
Earth-Moon separation.

During the flyby, timing was everything. Juno was traveling about
twice as fast as a typical satellite, and the spacecraft itself was
spinning at 2 rpm. To assemble a movie that wouldn't make viewers
dizzy, the star tracker had to capture a frame each time the camera
was facing Earth at exactly the right instant. The frames were sent
to Earth, where they were processed into video format.

"Everything we humans are and everything we do is represented in
that view," said the star tracker's designer, John Jørgensen of the
Danish Technical University, near Copenhagen.

"With the Earth flyby completed, Juno is now on course for arrival
at Jupiter on July 4, 2016," said Rick Nybakken, Juno project manager
at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

The Juno spacecraft was launched from Kennedy Space Center in
Florida on August 5, 2011. Juno's launch vehicle was capable of
giving the spacecraft only enough energy to reach the asteroid belt,
at which point the sun's gravity pulled it back toward the inner
solar system. Mission planners designed the swing by Earth as a
gravity assist to increase the spacecraft's speed relative to the
sun, so that it could reach Jupiter. (The spacecraft's speed relative
to Earth before and after the flyby is unchanged.)

After Juno arrives and enters into orbit around Jupiter in 2016, the
spacecraft will circle the planet 33 times, from pole to pole, and
use its collection of science instruments to probe beneath the gas
giant's obscuring cloud cover. Scientists will learn about Jupiter's
origins, internal structure, atmosphere and magnetosphere.

Source: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-360

Radio Hams Say Hi To Juno
http://amsat-uk.org/2013/10/09/radio-hams-say-hi-to-juno/

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK, and Andy Thomas, G0SFJ for the above
announcement]

10 GHz CubeSat ESTELLE to carry Cold Gas Thruster

The 2U ESTELLE will accommodate the QB50 scientific payload and an
experimental miniaturized cold gas thruster module with four
thrusters and 50grams of fuel.

This mission is a partnership between Estonia, Sweden, Latvia and
Slovenia. The general hardware design will improve upon the single
unit ESTCube-1, launched on May 7, 2013.

Cold gas propulsion system is seen as a very attractive solution for
the CubeSats, as the standard limits the use of pyrotechnics and
high-pressure systems. The propulsion module, developed by NanoSpace,
uses butane under 2-5 bar pressure. This should be in accordance with
the next CubeSat standard revision. The 0.3 unit module will be
located at the opposite end from the QB50 payload. It contains four
thrusters, which are placed on the same side for maximum delta-v
capability (40 m/s). This delta-v capability can be used to alternate
the orbit in order to enhance the scientific return of the QB50
mission by extending the satellite's lifetime.

An experimental high data rate transmitter (HDRT) is envisaged if it
fits within the system margins to include it on-board the satellite.
It would operate on S, C or X band amateur radio frequencies and use
BPSK modulation. Up to 10 Mbit/s data rates can be achieved with 3 W
of operating power.

Proposing a UHF GMSK/BPSK downlinks up to 19k2 bps and a series of
HDRT experiments including a 2.4 GHz downlink using GFSK/BPSK at up
to1Mbps, a 5.8 GHz downlink using GFSK and BPSK at up to 10Mbps and
a 10 GHz downlink at up to 10 Mbp.

EstCube https://www.facebook.com/estcube

Swedish Space Corporation (SSC)
https://www.facebook.com/SSC.SwedishSpaceCorporation

NanoSpace http://www.sscspace.com/nanospace

Communication link design at 437.5 MHz for a nanosatellite
http://upcommons.upc.edu/pfc/bitstream/2099.1/19403/4/elec_2013_cante
ro_jorge.pdf

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above information]

$50SAT team seek help from radio hams

The $50SAT team is asking for help in capturing telemetry from the
amateur radio 1.5U PocketQube satellite $50SAT on 437.505 MHz (+/-9
kHz Doppler shift) CW.

We are trying to determine the charging characteristics of the power
system. The three team members all live above 40 degrees north and
the satellite does not warm up enough during nighttime N-S passes to
allow charging to begin. None of us are usually around during the
daytime S-N passes and we would particularly appreciate telemetry
reports when the satellite is in daylight.

Any form of report is welcome: decode of the fast Morse (120 WPM),
RTTY demod, audio recording or I/Q capture from a FUNcube or RTL
dongle would be greatly appreciated.

A link to a detailed description of the communications package can
be found on the $50SAT website, http://www.50dollarsat.info/. The
last distribution of Keps from AMSAT contain good elements for $50SAT.

$50SAT is one of the smallest amateur radio satellites ever launched
at 5x5x7.5 cm and weighs only 210 grams. Transmitter power is just
100 mW.

Thanks,
Howie DeFelice AB2S
Email: howied231<at>hotmail.com

$50SAT has been a collaborative education project between Professor
Bob Twiggs, KE6QMD, Morehead State University and three other radio
amateurs, Howie DeFelice, AB2S, Michael Kirkhart, KD8QBA, and Stuart
Robinson, GW7HPW.

The $50SAT team plan to make all the software and hardware designs
freely available to anyone who wants them for personal or educational
use. For further information see the $50SAT Dropbox at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l3919wtfiywk2gf/-HxyXNsIr8

There is a discussion group for $50SAT at:

50DollarSat
http://www.50dollarsat.info/

HOPE RFM22B FSK transceiver
http://www.hoperf.com/rf/module/fsk/RFM22B.htm

PICAXE-40X2 microcontroller
http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAXE-Chips/PICAXE-40X2-
microcontroller/

Revolution Education http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/

$50SAT Eagle2 PocketQube Operational
http://amsat-uk.org/2013/11/22/50sat-eagle2-pocketqube-operational/

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above announcement]

KB1WTW Addresses US House Committee

Dr. Sara Seager, KB1WTW, Class of 1941 Professor of Physics and
Planetary Science Massachusetts Institute of Technology addressed the
House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, United States
House of Representatives December 4, 2013.

Invited witnesses were:

Dr. Mary Voytek
Senior Scientist for Astrobiology, Planetary Science Division
National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Dr. Sara Seager KB1WTW
Class of 1941 Professor of Physics and Planetary Science
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Dr. Steven Dick
Baruch S. Blumberg Chair of Astrobiology, John W. Kluge Center
Library of Congress

Dr. Sara Seager KB1WTW highlights the importance of CubeSats in
education at 0:46 into this video.

Watch Astrobiology: Search for Biosignatures in our Solar System,
House Space Committee, Dec 4, 13

This video was uploaded to YouTube by SpaceKSC
http://www.spaceksc.com/ Twitter @SpaceKSCBlog
Professor Sara Seager KB1WTW - Image credit MIT

Professor Sara Seager KB1WTW – Image credit MIT

Testimony of Dr. Sara Seager KB1WTW, Hearing on Astrobiology
http://astrobiology.com/2013/12/testimony-of-dr-sara-seager-hearing-
on-astrobiology.html

Concord resident earns Genius Grant
http://www.wickedlocal.com/concord/news/x1868848071/Concord-resident-
earns-Genius-Grant

Inflatable Antenna Could Give CubeSats Greater Reach
http://amsat-uk.org/2013/09/07/inflatable-antenna-could-give-
cubesats-greater-reach/

How a Pocket-Size Satellite Could Find Another Earth
http://amsat-uk.org/2012/05/12/how-a-pocket-size-satellite-could-
find-another-earth/

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK and David J. Mercado, KK4MND for the above
announcement]

ARISS News

SuccessfulARISS contact with Tochigi Science Lion Project,
Utsunomiya, Japan

An International Space Station school contact was completed with
participants at Tochigi Science Lion Project, Utsunomiya, Japan on 14
Dec. The event was scheduled to begin at approximately 07:00 UTC. The
duration of the contact was approximately 9 minutes and 30 seconds.
15 students asked their question to Koichi. Koichi answered all the
questions. But 2 or 3 answers were very weak signal.
The contact was direct between NA1SS and 8N1ISS.

The ARISS school contact event was held as a part of the "Tochigi
Science Lion Project".  The project aims at constructing a science
communication network in order to enhance interest in science and the
science literacy of residents in Tochigi prefecture. Teikyo
University manages the project and it is subsidized by JST (Japan
Science and Technology Agency). The name of  the project comes from
the shape of Tochigi prefecture, which looks like the profile of a
lion.

A group of students were selected from different elementary and
junior high schools around Tochigi prefecture.  There were 89
applicants, and 15 students were selected. The group consists of 12
elementary school students including 3 members of YAC (Young
Astronauts Club), 2 junior high school students and a student from a
school for the visually impaired.

Participants asked the following questions:

1.   The moment you get into zero gravity, how is the condition of
your body? And how do you feel?

2.   It is said that the body's internal clock is set by the morning
sun on Earth. Does your body's clock work even in space? When do you
feel sleepy or hungry? Is it the same time as you are on Earth?

3.   Please tell me how to put out a fire in case one breaks out on
the "ISS."

4.   What do you do if you feel bad and you can't work on the "ISS"?

5.   Can you see "Ison Comet" in space?

6.   How does your body pressure or your body's condition change
between when you are on Earth and in space?

7.   What do you think about "space debris"?

8.   Do you sometimes quarrel with other astronauts?

9.   When you became captain of the spaceship, what did you decide
to do to organize the team?

10.  Please tell me about your goals and dreams.

11.  Tochigi is famous for strawberries. If we were to grow them in
space, what shape would they become?

12.  Is there any thing that you think is more convenient in space
than on Earth?

13.  What kinds of space foods do you have? Aren't you bored with
space foods?

14.  If you cut onions in space, do your tears still run down your
face?

15.  While training to become an astronaut, did you have any
problems? What is your motivation to make your dreams come true?

PLEASE CHECK THE FOLLOWING FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ARISS UPDATES:

Sign up for the SAREX maillist at
http://www.amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/sarex

Visit ARISS on Facebook. We can be found at Amateur Radio on the
International Space Station (ARISS).

To receive our Twitter updates, follow @ARISS_status

Next planned event(s):

1.  Istituto Tecnico Industriale "Galileo Ferraris", San Giovanni
Valdarno, Italy, direct via IQ5GX
Mon, 16Dec2013, 16:28 UTC

ARISS is an international educational outreach program partnering
the participating space agencies, NASA, Russian Space Agency, ESA,
CNES, JAXA, and CSA, with the AMSAT and IARU organizations from
participating countries.

ARISS offers an opportunity for students to experience the
excitement of Amateur Radio by talking directly with crewmembers on-
board the International Space Station. Teachers, parents and
communities see, first hand, how Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS
can energize youngsters' interest in science, technology, and
learning. Further information on the ARISS program is available on
the website http://www.ariss.org/ (graciously hosted by the Radio
Amateurs of Canada).

[ANS thanks David Jordan, AA4KN, and ARISS for the above information]

Satellite Shorts from all over

LITHUANIA, LY.  Vilmantas
LY3BY is QRV as LY2013SAT until December 24 to commemorate the first
Lithuanian nano-satellite LituanicaSAT-1.
QSL via LY3BY.

[AMSAT thanks the ARLD050 DX news for the above short)

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
Joe Spier, K6WAO