Honestly...I wonder how many of the operators have keys to send those dits...

Roger
WA1KAT

On 1/7/2014 7:59 PM, Ronald G. Parsons wrote:
Perhaps it’s just me, but it seems like an increasing number of operators are
trying to find their downlink by speaking into their mic while tuning up and
down the band, often plus or minus 20-30 kHz. Not only is this disruptive to
existing QSOs, it is not the most effective way to do it. My receiver has a
panadapter with a 40 KHz bandwidth, and I can see these SSB signals swishing up
and down, over and over.

If you don’t have computer control of your frequency, set up a switch by which
you can send a SHORT series of dits. Then don’t swish. Adjust your transmitter
is steps of about 3 kHz. Send a burst of dits at low power and listen. If you
don’t hear yourself, tune up or down. This way you will have an effective way
to find yourself and you won’t interrupt other QSOs repeatedly.

Once you find yourself, make sure you are not interfering with an existing QSO.
Then refine your tuning until your frequency is nearly right. If you are
operating CW, your done. If you are operating SSB, try holding a tone generator
near your mic and adjust your transmitter or receiver until the tone on the
downlink matches the tone generator.

There is probably a free tone generator available for your smart phone.

Better yet, try computer control of your transmitter and receiver. You can
easily find an Elmer on the air if you need help.

But, PLEASE. don’t swish!

Ron W5RKN