Howie DeFelice wrote:
"I bet (a small bet anyway) my cell phone carrier doesn't save receive
frequency data accurate enough to determine what direction I am driving
though."

You are probably right since the doppler shift is pretty small ( at least I
hope it is :) ) on a
cellphone. The satellite access is MA-TDMA so the burst timing and frequency
offset need to be tracked.
This is a useful performance metric when troubleshooting connectivity issues in
a big network.

- Howie AB2S

If my math is correct, doppler shift for a car driving 60mi/hr directly towards a non-moving cell tower (not always a safe assumption in California) would have a Doppler shift of about 90 hz, assuming a cell frequency of 1 ghz. There's probably considerably more variation in your carrier frequency due to temperature, power supply factors, and component ageing, though I suppose with time these could probably be determined and backed out.

Greg  KO6TH