Like most people here I have an email address on amsat.org that
automatically relays to my primary email address.

I get a **lot** of spam via this path; a quick check shows that fully 96
out of 244 recent spam messages (as classified by Gmail) received at my
primary email address had been addressed to, and relayed via,
k...@amsat.org.

I'm tempted to just ask that my forwarding alias be turned off, but I
have found this service handy myself in reaching other AMSAT members so
I hesitate to do this.

Would there be interest (and would it be possible) to modify the
amsat.org email service to, instead of forwarding the mail, return a
simple canned message saying that amsat.org member so-and-so can be
reached directly at <your canonical email here>?

This could be implemented with the existing vacation reminder service,
which most UNIX-based email systems provide. When enabled, it returns a
reminder to the first message from each distinct sender and optionally
declines to deliver the original message.

This does create the risk that spammers will merely harvest our email
addresses from the bounce notices. But most spammers don't even provide
a valid reply address, much less look at anything it gets. But just in
case, you could spell it out in one of the usual obfuscated ways that
require a human to interpret it. E.g., the forwarding notice could give
my primary email address as "karn (at) ka9q (dot) nXXet, remove the two
'XX's".

Ideas?

--Phil