Hi Rick,

I expect your P-III CPU is doing just fine. I had a similar problem with gpredict seemingly locking up during a pass when driving my rotor. The problem was apparently a lack of a response from my controller to a polling operation (which, being a home-brew device, I never bothered to implement). Changing the timeout to 1 effectively disabled that feature, with no apparent ill effects.

You might be having the same problem, but with the rig control program. Try adding -C timeout=1 to the rigctl command line, and see if that works.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

Richard Lawn wrote:
A number of you have tried to help this Linux novice over recent weeks. I
did successfully get HamLib, FlDigi and CQrLog all to run and talk to my
FT847 using CAT. My attempts to get GPredict to work well though have
failed even after compiling and installing the most recent version t
A number of you have tried to help this Linux novice over recent weeks. I
did successfully get HamLib, FlDigi and CQrLog all to run and talk to my
FT847 using CAT. My attempts to get GPredict to work well though have
failed even after compiling and installing the most recent version that
addresses the earlier FT847 bugs. It now works, talking to the CAT port on
my radio however the software locks up while trying to track a satellite
pass. I'm thinking as some feared this old Pentium III may just not have
enough horse power!

I then tried Wine, thinking I might run it from within Ubuntu to then run
theSatPC32.exe. I guess I don't know the correct language to fine the path
and call up this exe from my Windows partition. Anyone have any suggestions
in this regard?

Thanks to all, I've learned a lot but may have to face the music and find a
more modern computer.
73
Rick
W2JAZ