But if the goal of satellite operation is from the shack-potato position,
why not just use the internet and not bother.

Don't forget the TOTAL FAILURE of the original SAT-PHONE industry when
they ignored cellphones and fiber.  No one would bother with a sat-phone
when their $9/mo cell phone could do the job almost 99% of the time and
call anywhere on the planet.  The only thing SAT-PHONEs turned out to be
good for are wilderness communications, and there are plenty of places on
earth that fit that category.  Probably 90% of the earths surface is a
wireless desert.  But the 99% of the worlds population lives in that
wired-10%.

I have also heard that these days, " all of the satellite communications
carried by all the comm satellites worldwide could fit on a SINGLE fiber.

The value of ham radio is providing communications where other systems
cannot.  And of course, playing with toys just for fun.

Bob, Wb4APR