On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:35:28PM +0200, Harry Vennik wrote:
> If a pre-commit script can check that, maybe it can also update it
> automatically? Just wondering....

No it can't, to do that, you'll need to meddle with the transaction, and you
should NEVER modify the
transaction in a script, also, the user who did the commit won't ever be
notified of the change, so his client
will think he has the latest, but in the end he doesn't, so the next commit
will ovewrite, and blabla... look
at the svn book, in the hook scripts part, the red block, it says you can
change some properties in a
pre-commit but don't change the eol-style property because the client won't be
notified (the eol-style changes
the file's data... ), it's the same philosophy here

> And what about branches? I think the script should check only for branches
> that change. so committing to trunk will require the svn_date on trunk to be
> modified, and a commit to a branch will require the svn_date in there to be
> modified. And given that, it might as well block every commit to a tag (we
> have to check the path anyway.

very interesting point, you're 100% right.. about commit to a tag, I'm not
sure, since we did need to commit
to a tag, but hey, tehre are always exceptions so if the svn:log commit log is
set to "COMMIT TO TAG: ..."
then it will allow..

> Btw: talking about tags and branches: those can be created with a single 'svn
> copy'. I saw a few times that an add was done first, and then a copy.

ouch.. are you serious ? I didn't see that, I may have missed it, anyways, when
I get my PC back, and hoping I
get time, I'll review all of the commits, I know there were ALOT of commits in
trunk/ and not ported to 0.96
(almost all of my commits for example:P)

KKRT