On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 5:38 AM Vendula Poncova <vponc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 6:14 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 12:58 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Use zram-generator instead of zram
>>> https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/pull-request/513
>>>
>>> Replace 'zram' with 'zram-generator', and exclude Cloud edition
>>> https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/pull-request/658
>>

>> Those have been accepted. Anaconda PR #2723 and #2727 can happen anytime.
>>

> Ok.

I've tested Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-Rawhide-20200712.n.0.iso
and swaponzram is activated during early boot, for both the
installation environment and in the installed system. When I reduce
memory to trigger activation of anaconda's implementation, it
consistently fails safely.

This will get quite a lot of testing in openQA, since most of their
VM's are provisioned with 2GiB RAM, and there is a moderate need for
swap in this configuration.

>> About inst.zram
>> https://github.com/systemd/zram-generator/issues/42
>>
>> Another possibility is to just deprecate it. If swap is really not needed,
>> zram device won't be used. There's no RAM preallocated for the zram device.
>> If it is needed, it gets used on demand, and prevents reclaim. Pretty much
>> win win.
>>

> I have talked about it with the team and we prefer the deprecation of the
> inst.zram option. The zram-generator can always introduce its own option if
> there is a demand for it.

OK I'll let the upstream zram-generator folks know. Thanks!

--
Chris Murphy