Keith Purtell wrote:

> Now I'm wondering how this could happen in the first place. I know NT
> supports Unicode but I wouldn't think there would be a setting somewhere
> that would tell it to write logs in Unicode??? The only thing I did that
> could have influenced all the log files was to use the Windows/NT "Copy" and
> "Paste" commands to copy to logfile directory from the server to my hard
> drive. Could this cause ASCII-to-Unicode conversion?

Well, my personal view on this would be that NT (or any other international OS
or program) should understand and support Unicode. So I would expect NT to log
in Unicode format if you asked it to, especially, if you are running it in a
non-Latin language environment. I'm not sure if it does though. I can't see why
copying and pasting a file would change the format unless, perhaps, you copied
to a Japanese systems, for example, then back to an English one.

Unicode is the multilingual, international character standard used and supported
by IBM, Netware, Sun, Apple, Microsoft and others. These company's OSes support
Unicode and there are Linux patches for Unicode support on that platform. IBM
has even made available, through public license, C and C++ libraries for
supporting Unicode input (see
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/techmain/459692CAEC3444DB8825679200748712).
Maybe Analog can support Unicode input in an future version? ;)

--
Jeremy Wadsack
OutQuest Magazine