On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Neil D. Jackson wrote:

> Just out of interest, though, how could a client ask for 'part' of a WMV
> file? All it can ask for, is the complete URL, surely? Or is there some
> kind of 'resume' operation available in HTTP as there is in FTP? That's
> kinda why I read between the lines, and put it down to the client closing
> the data-stream before it was finished, hence the server recorded it had
> sent what it had been asked for, up to that point.

It can certainly ask for part of it if it wants -- there is a syntax for
that in HTTP. This is common for PDF requests -- many clients ask for them
a page at a time, because you often don't end up reading the whole document.

--
Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
  "Low Priced Cambridge Clare College. Big selection at eBay UK!"