On Tuesday, August 10, 2004 3:23 AM [GMT],
Uriel Wittenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It simply doesn't work. I'm on WinXP Home, and I seem to be running it
> correctly.

I run it on Win2K, and I always had to explicitly specify the DNS
server, even though the documentation doesn't say that. I think that the
application probably relies on some OS specific functionality. As it
predates Windows XP, it wouldn't surprise me that it mightn't work on
XP. Perhaps Stephen can add that to the helper page documenation.

> I chose qdns simply because it's the first Windows app at
> http://www.analog.cx/helpers/index.html#dns. Are the apps there
> evaluated somewhere?

No. ReportMagic is the only helper app that is widely used, and has it's
own mailing list. QuickDNS used to be the only DNS helper for Windows
(as far as I can remember - most of the DNS tools were originally
written for Unix) but as someone else pointed out rdnslogs has been
ported to Windows and works well. DNS lookups aren't a major issue for
many Analog users, so the issue doesn't come up on the mailing list very
often.

Aengus