On Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:43 PM [GMT],
Sean Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our apache logs are huge and would not want to duplicate the size.
> Some statistics programs do use the log file plus there own which is
> equal in size to the original.
>
> How does this program store its information, in a separate file?  Do
> we need to keep the apache logs once it reads them?  Does it store
> information in binary format?

By default, Analog just creates a HTML file (and some images) that
contains the analysis that you tell it to do. It doesn't remember
anything from run to run.

You can configure it to create a "cache" file that summarises the
information in your logs, and that cache file can be used as the basis
for later reports, but the summary is just that - a summary, so there
are certain questions that you can't get an answer for if you are just
using cached files.

Analog can also read compressed log files, and, as log files typically
contain a lot of repetitive information, 15 or 20 to 1 compression of
log files is fairly normal.

You would be well advised to download a copy and spend 30 minutes
playing with it. You won't get a handle on cache files in that time, but
you should get an understanding of what Analog does in it's default
configuration.

Aengus