Fran, the preview to which you refer, I think that's for the Page Previews
feature (i.e., when a user hovers over a link on desktop Wikipedia) or its
corresponding feature in the the Wikipedia for Android (triggered by
default on link tap) and Wikipedia for iOS (force press) apps, is that
right? Are you saying that browser-based prefetch activity (e.g., with
resource hinting like https://www.w3.org/TR/resource-hints/ ) is also
tagged the same way?

Chenqi Zhu, I think what you're suggesting is the possibility that browsers
might be issuing HTTP prefetches for Wikimedia-hosted pages and that could
inflate pageviews. I'm not sure, but have you happened to observe user
agents making prefetches when resource hinting (
https://www.w3.org/TR/resource-hints/ ) is absent? I'm not sure how often,
if at all, discovery platforms like search engines are actually placing
resource hints into markup (which is mostly deterministic as far as browser
behavior) for Wikimedia content...nor to what degree there might be
heuristics being used for prefetching independently of any resource hints.
Do you have any data or field observations to help clarify?

Browser settings allude to this sort of behavior (e.g., in Chrome, there's
"Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly", which is described
at https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114836 ), although I think
without digging into browser source code it's a bit hard to know for
certain what's going on "under the hood". We do use preconnect and prefetch
semantics and the like in different contexts (cf.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/G2tr8i0YZii9 ,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/.dtx_hqaj3wj , ...there may
be more).

-Adam