The noun form of the word for faith is pronounced “emunah” and is spelled
Aleph-Mem-Waw-Nun-Hey. Emunah derives from the three letter root Aleph-Mem-Nun.
There are different spellings depending on the part-of-speech: Here are the
transliterations:

Aman (verb) – to confirm, support, uphold, be certain.

Omen (noun) – faithfulness

Amen (adv) – verily, truly, you betcha, you damn right

Amman (noun) – a steady hand, an artist

Emunah (noun) – firmness, fidelity, steadiness

… and quite a few others.

In the Hebrew scriptures the idea of faith connotes ‘certainty’, rather like
our faith that the sun will rise tomorrow in the East. Another way to think of
this idea of ‘certainty’ as ‘faith’, is to understand that in the Biblical
Hebrew, hope and faith were opposites and the former was not considered a
virtue when applied to God’s workings. In Biblical times, hope dwells where
faith does not exist.

One final note: In its adverb form, Aleph-Mem-Nun (‘amen’) means truly,
certainly. While we say ‘amen’ to conclude prayer, think of it this way: When
someone says “Hank Aaron was the greatest baseplayer who ever lived”, you might
reply “You damn right!!!!!” When the Jews of Jesus’s day said “amen”, they were
exclaiming “you damn right”.

Shalom,

Michael

  _____