First, can your browser app on the emulator connect to the internet? If not,
check your proxy settings, there are quite a few threads on the forum on
setting emulator proxy.
Next, did you add <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" /> tag to your app's
AndroidManifest.xml?
The new SDK requires that permission for network calls.