You will need the Eclipse ADT plugin if you are going to use Eclipse for
your development.  If you are planning to use command line tools for
developing your apps, then you don't need to install ADT plugin. You will
find it easier if you first go through the - Installing the SDK, Developing
and Debugging and Hello Android sections  at
http://code.google.com/android/intro/index.html.
Let us know if you have any specific questions.