This is very useful. I wonder about one bit of advice, in the section
"Cache Field Lookups", where it advises you to use locals for fields
that will be referenced repeatedly. So this

for (int i = 0; i < this.mCount; i++)
      dumpItem(this.mItems[i]);

becomes this

  int count = this.mCount;
  Item[] items = this.mItems;

  for (int i = 0; i < count; i++)
      dumpItems(items[i]);

Don't Java compilers do these kinds of optimizations, assuming the
fields aren't volatile?