Actually as indicated in
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.5_r1/installing.html :
  "A Java or RCP version of Eclipse is recommended. "

But you make a good point. When looking at the feature matrix at
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/compare-packages I see that
Classic lacks GEF (needed for the layout editor) and WebTools (for the
XML editor). I'll file a bug to have the install notes to be updated.

R/